This is my husband’s desk. None of his coworkers know what приходите завтра means (come back tomorrow), but I think he gets a kick out of the sign. 😉
This was actually a pretty good month for studying Russian, but when it came to my study plan… it was always приходите завтра. I hardly accomplished any of it. (And in a crazy language twist, D and I began taking Mandarin classes this month!) On the other hand, this was my 3rd month working as a freelance Russian translator and a Ukrainian friend started calling every week to skype in Russian. Those things helped me stay focused on learning, even if it wasn’t in the way I’d originally planned. What helped you stay focused on learning Russian this month?
- Russian slang explained: зашиваться. Another great podcast from очень по-рускки.
- The YouTube channel of Бриджет Барбара в Нью-Йорке, an American who laughs her way through learning Russian.
- Доес тхис хаппен то ыоу? Oops, I mean, does this happen to you? One of my old students recommend Punto Switcher to fix these situations. This Yandex program will work magic when you start typing in the wrong keyboard.
- Angelos Georgakis makes the best of a bad situation in Learn Russian in the hospital. Did you know that швы means stitches?
- Clips from 5 terrible Russian music videos. Because, funny. Тигр!
- Another addition to the Soviet cartoon catalog: Тайна третьей планеты, a sci-fi cartoon from 1981. Below are some screenshots and comments from the video. (And seriously, is that clown terrifying or what?!) My favorite things about this cartoon are these cultural gems:
- the scene when the pilot scolds an alien for exposing his friend’s daughter to a draft… Прекратите сквозняк, а то ребёнка простудите.
- the requisite line about неграмотность… Человек — царь природы! Только звери об этом не знают, они неграмотные.
1.17 Progress Report
Here are the results (lack of results?) for January’s study plan-
For next month, I’m ditching the attempt at the Goldlist method for now and postponing the rest for later.
2.17 Study Plan
It’s less ambitious, so there’s even space for a cat. 🙂 Барсик!